Sunday, September 14, 2008

10,000 Maniacs



Human beings like round numbers.

We don't talk about wanting to be worth $283,500; we talk about being millionaires.

We don't go shopping for 9 karat gold; we shop for 10 or 14 or 24 karat gold.

And fortunately for all of us, the band in the name of this post did not call themselves 10,145 Maniacs. I don't know why they chose 10,000 Maniacs as a name for their band, but you must admit it has a nice ring to it.


So it is with great fanfare that I make this announcement: some time this week, The Golden Hill will have its 10,000th hit.

There are no prizes for the lucky person who makes that hit, and in fact, I've had more than 10,000 hits already - I didn't put a counter on it until the blog was about a year and half old. But it still gives me a sense of satisfaction knowing that people are actually reading what I post. Even if some of those people are merely looking for a sly way to post a derogatory comment that I won't post anyway...and you know who you are.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is 14 and 24 caret a round number? Scratching my head at mensa boy.

Kate said...

Ok Sam, I've checked the counter, and I calculate that if I come in here 52 more times, I'll be the winnah!

Anonymous said...

what happened to the link to paul's blog? does he still have it??

Kate said...

21 visits to go.... it's getting exciting!

Yorkshire Pudding said...

Comment Number 9991

Yorkshire Pudding said...

Comment Number 9992

Yorkshire Pudding said...

Comment Number 9993

Yorkshire Pudding said...

Comment Number 9994

Yorkshire Pudding said...

Comment Number 9995

Yorkshire Pudding said...

Comment Number 9996

Yorkshire Pudding said...

Comment Number 9997

Yorkshire Pudding said...

Comment Number 9998

Yorkshire Pudding said...

Comment Number 9999

Yorkshire Pudding said...

Comment Number 10,000! Hurrah it's me! When do I get my prize? That barbecue in your garage that you still haven't FedExed to me! And now the summer's pretty much gone! Congratulations on reaching 10,000 and hope you ain't too mad at me for making the final hits.

Sam said...

Re Paul's blog - the SOB wouldn't reciprocate, so I took him off the list.

Kate said...

Cackles with laughter insanely - Hahahahahaha it's Meee. I'm number 1000 and so I win the BBQ, AND MY summer is just beginning!
Sam, leave a post on my Polyphasic Sleep post (see- you win stuff when you are polyphasic YP!) and I'll send you my address for delivery.

Paul Briggs said...

I recently had my 1 million hit so please post my blog address on your site: http://prbriggs.blogspot.com/

Sam said...

Paul: There, now your blog is on my blog, and I'll put you on the blog roll, but you know the rule....

YP: Thanks for the, ahem, legitimate hits! You can come over and pick up the BBQ at your convenience.

Katherine: You and YP will have to fight over the BBQ!