Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Hiatus

This will be brief.

A week ago, I had a visit with my ophthalmologist. That very day, I had laser surgery to heal a retinal tear, and I had no idea that I would have this surgery when I went to work that morning. In the meantime, I'm not supposed to read or spend any time in front of a computer. That might explain why I haven't posted in a while. This is the same eye I had cataract surgery on in October.

It didn't work - and by that I mean the laser surgery. On Thursday of this week, I will have the full retinal surgery which involves them draining my eyeball and filling the cavity with gas to keep pressure on the bad spot.

They tell me it's 90% effective, and the recovery involves me lying down on my left side for at least a week. I will have no ability to read or post anything during that time, so I'll be back in a week or two.

In the meantime, visit Yorkshire Pudding, The Last Visible Dog, and Rhymes With Plague to keep yourself amused. And know that when I come back, I'll have stories....

6 comments:

Kate said...

Oh Sam! Heal quickly! Listen to music? Talking books? Your lovely wife could read the newspaper? If I was nearby, I'd come over with a batch of my world-famous-in-Tauranga Spiced Fruit Muffins to help you pass the time.

Yorkshire Pudding said...

Oh dear Sam... that sounds bloody awful. Even though you are a worldly wise grandad, such medical interventions can be downright scary and I'm rooting for you old chap. Be patient with yourself and perhaps listen to some good radio or audiobooks.

rhymeswithplague said...

Sam, I hope you are recovering nicely. You are missed. Get well soon!

Carolina said...

Hello, I came over for a short visit from Rhymeswithplague to wish you all the best with your surgery and the recovery. Both procedures sound horrible.

Good luck,
Carolina

Kate said...

Sam...I hope you are feeling/ seeing better?

Sam said...

Thank you all!

Recovery is going well - well enough that I can actually spend some time in front of my computer! Still dealing with the gas bubble, but it is getting a little smaller every day, so I should be as good as new before too long.