Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Peter & Gordon

I've been dealing with an illness in the family over the past several days. I've had no time to post, and this one will be brief. I'll get back at it next weekend.

Read this obit in the paper yesterday:



A year and a half ago (hardly seems like it's been that long), we learned of the death of Mike Smith of the Dave Clark Five. That brought back a flood of memories, and although Peter & Gordon did not have the widespread fame of the Dave Clark Five, they were still a quintessential 1960's band.

Gordon Waller's partner in the band, Peter Asher, had a sister named Jane who spent a lot of time with Paul McCartney at the time the Beatles' fame was skyrocketing. If you're a fan of the era, I'd recommend The Beatles: The Biography by Bob Spitz (Little, Brown and Company, 2005). It has a lot of great stories about those days, including the story of how Paul essentially created Peter & Gordon.

Rest in peace, Gordon Waller.

2 comments:

Yorkshire Pudding said...

I recall the first time that Peter and Gordon appeared on British TV... that song "World Without Love" features in the soundtrack to my life.... "I don't care what they say, I won't stay in a world without love.." It took Gordon a long time to fulfil that promise.

I hope the family illness issue is improving rather than worsening.

Sam said...

It is, YP, and thank you. Dorothy had her gall bladder removed on Monday, 2 days after I took her to the emergency room. It took them a while to figure out the problem.