Friday, August 07, 2009

It's What's For Dinner

I took a vacation day this week so I could spend a little time with my brother back at the farm. We pulled the truck into the barn to unload some feed, and there were his cows. Last year, I took some pictures of the cows, but this year I was able to take a little movie from my iPhone.


The cows apparently have never heard the Moon River joke.

The barn is next to the house in which we grew up, and Thom lives a quarter mile down the road in the house in which our mother grew up. We took the lane back to his house. I'm including this clip of our trip down the lane because you need to experience driving between walls of field corn at least once in your life. You can see part of the Golden Hill Cemetery on the left where we make the right turn at the end.



We reached our destination and sat for hours on Thom's back porch drinking beer and shooting the breeze. The air was very comfortable, and there are few things as beautiful as a full, brilliant orange moon rising over a field of corn. It was a good day.

2 comments:

Yorkshire Pudding said...

It must have been good to catch up with your brother in that little house on the prairie... close to where your heart clearly lies.

rhymeswithplague said...

Everyone needs a great day with his brother and his cows and his corn every once in a while. I expected to see James Earl Jones and Kevin Costner coming out of that corn. Hope springs eternal in the human breast.