Sunday, June 01, 2008

Tick tock...

Isn't it amazing how your perspective of time changes over the years?

In elementary school, the school year seemed to last for ages, and the first day of summer vacation was the first day of forever. Having to wait a week or two for anything was hard, because that was a long time.

Having the benefit of my 50-plus years of perspective, I now view a week as a fleeting moment. You can accomplish a lot in a week, but whatever it is that you have scheduled for next week will be here before you know it.

That's why this picture amuses me so much. It is easy to date: there are 4 candles on the birthday cake, so this picture was taken on March 13, 1967. That's little Horse-Face sitting to my left. Well, to be fair, her name is Laura, but those old family nicknames are hard to shake. Toad (Toni) is on the left, and Diane on the right.

Toad sent this picture to me recently, and it reminds me of how quickly time passes. I remember the day it was taken, and it astounds me that more than 40 years have since passed. All four of us in the picture have grown children. All of the girls are grandparents. In fact, I am the only sibling who does not have any grandchildren.

Well, I should add that I do not YET have any grandchildren, but all of that will change in November!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats!!

Anonymous said...

Horse face looks like a cute little girl. And congrats, I didn't even know Dorothy was pregnant.

Yorkshire Pudding said...

You're gonna be a grandad? Grandpaw? Gramps? Or simply The Piggy Bank? Congratulations!

Yes you're right... the process of life is so fleeting...it is hard not to feel a sense of melancholia when we look at pictures like the one you posted. Who knows where the time goes?

Sam said...

To anonymous (Paul): If Dorothy were pregnant, that wouldn't make me a grandfather...

TO YP: Yessir!

Anonymous said...

CONGRATS OLD MAN!!! IT'S ABOUT TIME!! I AM AWAITING # 4. HORSEFACE WAS A PRETTY CUTE KID, SHE'S EVEN BETTER LOOKING TODAY.
TIC TOCK....TIME GOES ON........LO