Thursday, March 13, 2008

The Blizzard of 2008

Last weekend, Columbus got more than 20 inches of snow.

The last major blizzard around here occurred in January of 1978. I was living in Luxembourg at the time, so I missed the whole thing. But my brother sent pictures, and I was duly impressed with the amount of snow. The barometric pressure reached an all-time low of something like 28.7 inches, and I heard stories of people waking up in the middle of the night because something didn't feel right. The temperature dropped from the mid-50's to well below zero, and it stayed very cold for several days. The huge amounts of snow were accompanied by 40 mile per hour winds, with gusts to 70. That was quite a storm.

Fast forward 30 years. Here is a day-by-day description of the Blizzard of 2008:

Friday, March 7

It started snowing in the afternoon. I was checking out the Harbor Town Lighthouse in Hilton Head, South Carolina.

Saturday, March 8
It snowed a whole lot in Columbus. This is a view of the beach from our hotel room in Hilton Head. It was not very warm that day, and it was windy, but that did not deter us from going to Savannah, Georgia to visit my niece and her fiance. The historical area is very interesting, but what amazed me was the line of people outside "Lady and Sons" restaurant, operated by Paula Dean and her sons. For the uninitiated (as I was before this trip), Paula Dean has a show on the Food Channel, and she has parlayed that exposure into a food empire. We got there at 11 o'clock in the morning, and we had to stand in line to make lunch reservations, and the earliest we could get was 2:15. All of that waiting just to eat fried chicken from the buffet.

Sunday, March 9
I guess people started digging out from the snow, but I played golf at the Arthur Hills course at Palmetto Dunes.

So, once again I missed the blizzard of the century.

3 comments:

Yorkshire Pudding said...

Blizzards are much over-rated as any eskimo will tell you Sam.

"Lady and Sons"? You should have checked out Mrs Wilks's Boarding House in Savannah - the best lunch I have ever had in my life and there was Mrs Wilks sitting in her chair like the queen bee as her staff sped around serving up their wonderful southern vittles. She's dead now but I believe her eating establishment continues.
By the way I tagged you if you can be bothered.

Sam said...

I'll have to check out Mrs. Wilks on the next trip...

Thanks for the tag, but I'm not even sure what that is!

Yorkshire Pudding said...

Sam - TAGGING is basically this thing whereby you do the task that has been passed to you - see my last blog entry which cheekily I have renamed "Tugged". Now you are meant to write down your four responses under each sub-heading.
If you don't want to do it I will understand. I was just passing on a tag that someone had passed to me. It can be a bit tiresome - like watching fireflies in the bushes of Ohio.