Saturday, March 22, 2008

Spring

The first day of spring has come and gone, but it was snowing again this morning.

I've always been able to tolerate the cold. As a boy growing up on the farm, one of my favorite things to do was sleep outside. More than once, my mother would not allow me to sleep outside because it was too cold. I thought that was puzzling because I wouldn't even ask if the temperature was going below 40 degrees. Her rule was that it could go no lower than 50, and even after I reminded her that I could freeze water in my bedroom during the winter, she would not relent.

We were miles from the nearest town, and the skies were generally very dark, which was great for stargazing. To this day, I am frustrated by the lights of this city I now live in, because I can't see the stars at night.

I've found that as I grow older, I am becoming less tolerant of the cold. I am fortunate that I have the resources to travel, and I've made 4 trips south during this winter, so at least I've been able to break up the winter doldrums with some brief spells of sunshine and relative warmth.

All of this is just an excuse to post this little video...enjoy the sights and sounds of Cocoa Beach, Florida.


No comments: