Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Lighting Up the Night, Part 2

I guess I was wrong about Dennis' role in the latest shuttle launch. It wasn't a toilet repair mission, it was a toilet replacement mission.

Here's the toilet that went up on the November 14 launch to the International Space Station:



And Dennis was kind enough to remember me as he worked on this toilet. In his words: "Actually, we launched an entire new toilet system. Here's a couple photos of it. I signed the back of the toilet rack for you, Sam. It says, "For a good time, call 460-6446 (if you're a former Republican senator)."

















I leave the phone number as he wrote it, because I no longer have that number. So if anyone is inclined to call that number, please be kind. But it warms my heart to know that I am now a part of space history. More or less.

In addition to the toilet photos (of which he must be very proud), he sent some NASA photos of the launch that Liz witnessed. The photo I included on the last post was a stock NASA picture, but these are the real deal from the November 14 launch. No more words needed...what a sight.









4 comments:

Kate said...

Wondrous! When I was little I thought that the moon had to be full on launch day...

Yorkshire Pudding said...

The space toilet looks rather primitive. Where's the wash basin and where is the guy supposed to hang his spacesuit while he's having a good dump... or maybe even a hump? All those dollars spent on space exploration and that's the best restroom they can manage!...Some amazing pictures by the way.

Sam said...

Katherine -- no, but certainly the whereabouts of the moon dictates certain things about the launch, gravity being a factor in everything they do.
YP -- I guess it's better than dumping in your spacesuit! Someone has to clean those when they return...

rhymeswithplague said...

Sam, great photos of the Endeavor's launch! I had to laugh about your telephone number being on the wall. Does this mean you are now on "Craig's list"?