Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving

This will not be as artfully done as Robert Brague's Thanksgiving Day post, but I have something to share.

First, check out the birds in my kitchen this morning:



Dorothy is crafty, not in the sly way, but in the arty way. She goes to great lengths to make my place more enjoyable, and for that, I'm thankful.

I'm also thankful for this recipe for stuffing (or dressing, if you prefer). It's too late for you to try this for Thanksgiving, but Christmas is right around the corner. I think this came from my paternal grandmother, and where she got it, I don't know. But it's still the best I've ever had. Don't let the olives scare you, this is really good.

2 loaves of white bread, toasted and torn into small pieces
One medium to large yellow onion, chopped
6 stalks of celery, chopped
6 ounce jar of salad olives, including juice
Sage (a little)
Parsley (a lot)
3 eggs (beat with warm water)
Salt & pepper
Chicken bouillon (a cup or so)

Mix this all together, and use the bouillon as needed to give it the right consistency. "You want it moist," as my mother says. There is enough here to stuff a large bird, and whatever is left, put in a glass (Corning Ware) dish, covered, and heat at 325 for about an hour.

6 comments:

Kate said...

Yum! I've copied it down. I'm thankful you shared!

rhymeswithplague said...

I have never heard of dressing/stuffing made with olives before, but I want to try it soon!
You are talking about ripe olives, aren't you, and not those green ones with pimiento where the pits used to be??

Sam said...

Rhymes -- no, I'm talking about green salad olives - the ones that have pimentos in them, but have been halved before they are packed in the jar.

rhymeswithplague said...

My goodness, now I'm even more intrigued!

Yorkshire Pudding said...

In England we sometimes use the term "bird" informally to describe a woman, hence the idea of "stuffing" one seems most uplifting.

Kate said...

Trust YP.

I'm at present working on a series for an exhibition (My first for, oh, about ten years). It's about the wading bird the Godwit. You're giving me an idea for one of the pieces... In 1941 hunting to eat Godwit was outlawed in New Zealand...