Monday, December 01, 2008

Dateline Cabo

It ain't easy being me. Dorothy and I are living large in Cabo, located on the southern tip of the Baja peninsula. Our home for the next several days is the Hacienda Encantada.

We arrived late Saturday, and after checking in we had dinner with my sister Mary K. and her husband Dave (to whom I am very grateful for hosting us). As we were checking in to the resort, Dorothy and I signed up for a "presentation" so we could get a discount on activities and earn $120 cash. Neither of us had done this before, and we'll never do it again. They were trying to sell us a time share, the cost of which started at $29,000 (plus annual maintenance fees), but dropped to $9900 after we said "no" about a dozen times. Even after they finally let us go, we were instructed to see another man, who asked what we thought of our experience, and then he tried to sell us a three year trial membership for $1495. The presentation included breakfast and was supposed to last 90 minutes. It lasted about 2 1/2 hours, but they made good on their promise, and we walked away with $120 cash, a good breakfast, and a discount on a fishing charter, which we will probably go on tomorrow. There is a 1000 pound marlin out there just waiting for me.

I rose before dawn on Sunday, and as the sun crept over the water, I was rewarded with one of the most beautiful views I've ever seen. Our room faces the Sea of Cortez, and since words just can't describe it, see it here, even though a picture doesn't do justice.



We spent most of yesterday enjoying the view, soaking up the sun, and having a couple (ahem) beers. Last night we went into town and found a Walmart, where we stocked up on coffee, milk, meat, bread and cheese, but I regret to report that they had no eggs. So I'll have no eggs and bacon this morning. That usually makes me surly, but what the hell, I have the sound of the sea washing up against the rocks outside our room.

6 comments:

rhymeswithplague said...

Wow! I'm speechless! The most exciting thing I did this week was buy a Jamocha shake at Arby's.

Yorkshire Pudding said...

You lucky s.o.b.! The Baja Peninsula... such a mysterious protuberance... and the Sea of Cortes... it sounds as if you are holidaying inside a novel by Ernest Hemingway!

Anonymous said...

Did you elope?

Anonymous said...

It's tough to be you Sammy, Cabo is a beautiful place and the beers always plentiful!
On another note, I can't believe you went thru their speel, the are always high pressure salesman!!
Have fun in the sun:)

Sam said...

This place is great, but no we didn't elope, Paul.

YP - I almost feel like Hemingway. I want to write about our Tuesday fishing trip. I'd call it "The Young Man and the Sea."

Rhymes -- no Arby's here, but the mahi mahi is very good!

Kate said...

Glorious, Sam!