Sunday, December 07, 2008

Meeting Beatrice

It's not easy to describe how it feels to meet your first grandchild for the first time.

We got back from Cabo last night to find several inches of snow on the ground, and the temperature around 20 degrees. I had called Sonja from Dallas to let her know that, given the hour and the weather, we'd come over Sunday morning with breakfast instead of Saturday night to meet Beatrice. It turned out to be a good idea, since we didn't get home until 10:30 last night, and the roads were not easy to traverse. I suspect that Sonja and Ash were happy that I made the suggestion, as they had had a very hectic couple of days and could probably have used some rest.

So we made breakfast at my house this morning and loaded it into the car. And I couldn't wait to meet Beatrice.

She is simply a beautiful baby.


I was near tears as I saw her for the very first time, and once she was in my arms, I didn't want to let her go. And she seemed quite content being there. Two-day-old babies can't see much, I'm sure, but she was very alert and she even smiled for me. I know she didn't smile AT me -- she probably was passing some gas -- but it was still a moment I'll never forget.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful picture Sam! Made me want to cry looking at it and remembering the first time I held mine. She will wrap you around her little finger in no time:) If she hasn't already:)

Anonymous said...

Being 53, having a great job, living the life you want for yourself,having the first grandbaby....PRICELESS...(and so wasn't the pic) Congrats Grandpa Sam! I love you!

Kate said...

I bet it WAS at you, Sam. My first smiled at my father at three days old. I know that for sure. You and Beatrice are going to get on really well, I feel. I'm quite full of happiness for you - an (almost) total stranger half a world away.

rhymeswithplague said...

A beautiful picture of grandpa and a brand new life.

Anonymous said...

Priceless, Sam. The love shines in your eyes. Welcome to the grandparents' club. It's a great place to be. Love you.

Anonymous said...

I could tell she was yours, as you both have about the same amount of hair!! (Actually, I think that she might hav a little bit more!!).

Congratulations, Sam! Cheryl and I have both have grandparent envy - our kids don't seem inclined to present us with any grandchildren anytime soon!

Fred

Anonymous said...

I could tell she was your granddaughter, Sam, as you both have about the same amount of hair (come to think of it, I believe she might have a bit more!!).

Cheryl and I have a bad case of grandparent envy - our two children don't seem inclined to present us with any grandchildren anytime soon.

Congratulations!!

Fred Kent

Anonymous said...

Science has proven that a newborn does not have the vision or the ability to smile at someone until age 6 months. Parents and grandparents everywhere wish it weren't true. Please pop your umbrella now that I've rained on your parade.

Yorkshire Pudding said...

Beautiful moment and Beatrice is a lovely old-fashioned name. The chain continues. Congratulations Sam!

Sam said...

Thanks to all for the kind comments. Except that last "anonymous" post: Dude, who pissed in your corn flakes this morning?