Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Word Games

I've taken many standardized tests over the years, and in all cases, my highest scores are in math. Numbers are easy for me, and I can calculate a lot in my head, and that ability has served me well.

But I also like word games. I do at least one crossword puzzle each day, and on some days, I'll do three or four. I like the USA Today crosswords late in the week, but not early in the week. They are too easy on Monday and Tuesday, but by Wednesday, they start to become a challenge.

I also like to play Scrabble, and by recently joining Facebook, I'm able to play multiple games of Scrabble with my siblings, nieces, nephews, children, and friends. At this moment, I think I have 6 games going. Some of the people I play against are very good, and it is a real challenge to win the games. I also like to solve the word jumble, which involves rearranging the letters of 5 words, and then using the circled letters of the answers to solve the riddle.

Then there is the daily cryptogram. I pride myself on solving these without use of a pen (I never use a pencil for any word game - it gives you a false sense of security). Some are tough, some are easy, but all are rewarding to solve. This morning's paper had the cryptogram you'll find below, and it had a cadence that seemed familiar. This one is not very hard to solve, and if you've been reading this blog for very long, you'll understand why I am posting it here. (Just click on it if you need to print it.)







5 comments:

rhymeswithplague said...

Back when I still had a brain, I liked to do the Sunday New York Times crossword puzzle in ink. I use "do" in the loosest possible sense. Once or twice I actually completed the puzzle, but that was a rare event. Never did I succumb to using a pencil.

I have never done Sudoku or even liked most math games, although I do well on the math and logic portions of aptitude tests (especially arithmetic and geometric. I did the daily Word Jumble for a couple of years a couple of decades ago, but stopped. What I liked best about it was how the riddle's answer was illustrated in the accompanying cartoon.

Yorkshire Pudding said...

Come on. Put us out of our misery. Tell us the answer.

Sam said...

YP, you're supposed to solve this one on our own! But it's been long enough...

A pun is the lowest form of humor - when you don't think of it first.
- Oscar Levant

rhymeswithplague said...

Now you've done it! I found an online site of cryptograms and solved two handily, which is two more than I ever solved before. I hope I'm not hooked as there are much better ways to spend my time.

rhymeswithplague said...

I just solved two more.

You have created a monster.